Lake Grossräschen is one of ten lakes at the heart of the Lusatian Lakeland that will eventually be linked by canals. Development of the lake’s tourism infrastructure has been going on for a few years now, resulting in the IBA Terraces and the Seehotel. Lake Grossräschen was created through flooding from 2007 to 2019. The IBA Terraces, a recipient of the Brandenburg prize for architecture, offer panoramic views of the lake, the marina and the pier. Grossräschen marina was built when the area was still above the water level. Future visitors can expect to find around 130 boat moorings, a harbour promenade and all key water sport services. Boat trips coming soon. The Ilse Canal between Lake Grossräschen and neighbouring Lake Sedlitz was completed in 2014. However, it will only become navigable as a waterway when Lake Sedlitz has also reached its target water level. Part of the canal is a tunnel that will allow ships to pass underneath several roads and railway tracks. A tunnel for pedestrians and cyclists runs parallel to it on land and is free to use.
Lake Grossräschen was created by flooding the former Meuro open-cast mine.
Facts and figures
- Size of the lake: 790 ha
- Max. depth: 55 metres
Harbours and marinas
- Grossräschen marina, scheduled to open in 2020
- Parking and sanitary facilities are available at Grossräschen marina
Leisure facilities and activities
- Boat trips on Lake Grossräschen in the Wilde Ilse
- Playground at the marina
- IBA Terraces visitor centre with exhibition
- Victoriahöhe viewing point
- Avenue of Stones for walking
- Guided tour of the IBA Terraces and marina
- Bicycle hire at the IBA Terraces
- Tours and tastings at the vineyard below the IBA Terraces
- Guided tours by coach, road train or bicycle from the IBA Terraces
- Museum of Art Fakes at Seehotel Grossräschen
Food and drink around Lake Grossräschen
- Bistro in the IBA Terraces visitor centre
- Haus Vier restaurant
- Restaurant at Seehotel Grossräschen
Diese Karte kann nicht von Google Maps geladen werden, da Sie in den Datenschutz- und Cookie-Einstellungen externen Inhalten nicht zugestimmt haben.