Lake Geierswalde is located in the middle of the future lake network. It is connected to Lake Senftenberg via the navigable Koschen Canal, and since 2019 there has also been a navigable connection to Lake Partwitz via the Barbara Canal. This means that motorboats and sailing boats can sail from Lake Senftenberg via Lake Geierswalde into Lake Partwitz.
Lake Geierswalde offers a wide range of water sports. The good winds on Lake Geierswalde have long since ceased to be an insider tip. That's why more and more sailors and (kite) surfers find themselves on the lake. Holidaymakers can also set sail by motorboat. In designated areas, water skiing and wakeboarding can be done behind the motorboat. At the bathing beach, holidaymakers can splash around in the water to their heart's content, hire pedal boats or glide across the lake while stand-up paddling. A trademark are the floating holiday homes, which offer a very special holiday feeling. On the southern slope of Lake Geierswalde is the water hiking rest area and the sailing and inclusion centre of the 1st Lausitzer Seenland e.V. water sports association. The development of further tourist infrastructure and facilities is planned for the Koschendamm on the eastern shore.
The 16-kilometre lake circuit is suitable for cycling, skating and running.
Lake Geierswalde was created until 2013 by flooding the former Koschen open-cast lignite mine. Lake Geierswalde has been usable since 2003.
Facts and figures
- Size of the lake: 653 ha
- Max. depth: 34 metres
Fishing, bathing, passenger shipping, motor boating, rafting (motorised)*, paddling, rowing, canoeing, stand-up paddling (SUP), (wind-, kite-) surfing*, sailing, pedal boating, wakeboarding, water skiing.
* Possibility given, but no rental or tourist offer at the lake.
Water tourism use is permitted from 01.04. to 31.10.
The swimming beach at Lake Geierswalde is located next to the marina. The bathing water quality in Lake Geierswalde has been certified as excellent (in 2018, based on EU bathing water quality standards). During the season, the swimming beach is supervised at weekends and on public holidays.
Water sports providers
- Boat hire OSTufer beach bar and water sports, SUP and pedal boat hire
- CruiserCraft motorboat hire
- Water skiing and wakeboarding at Wake and more
- Event and training ship, SeaBreeze Entertainment Group
- Reederei Löwa passenger cruises
- Lusatian Lakeland Water Sports Association (1. Wassersportverein Lausitzer Seenland e.V.)
Harbours and marinas
On the south shore is the Geierswalder See water recreation area of the Lusatian Lakeland Saxony association with moorings, slipway and boat crane.
Contact Harbour master: tel.: +49 (0) 152 - 04794534 (April - Oktober)
- Sanitary facilities during the season in the service building on the beach
- Barrier-free toilets are located at the service building of the municipality of Elsterheide directly at the jetty (April-October).
- Parking at the swimming beach and at the water touring rest area
- Wicker beach chair hire on the beach
Leisure facilities and activities
- Beach volleyball court next to the swimming beach
- 16km asphalt loop trail around the lake, suitable for cycling, in-line skating and running
Food and drink around Lake Geierswalde
- Several snack bars at the swimming beach
- Restaurant at the Leuchtturm Hotel
Accommodation and camping at Lake Geierswalde
- Lighthouse hotel and holiday apartments
- Floating holiday homes and beach houses by Open-Water-Resort Lausitz
- Camping and caravan site Holiday and leisure park Geierswalde
- Marina Camping Geierswalde Lake
- Camping site Sun & Fun
- Leisure home Haus am See of the EVJU e.V.
- Seeblick Holiday Apartment & Pension
For questions about the tourist offer
For questions about boat access, navigation and use of the Lake Geierswalde
Diese Karte kann nicht von Google Maps geladen werden, da Sie in den Datenschutz- und Cookie-Einstellungen externen Inhalten nicht zugestimmt haben.