Lake Gräbendorf offers clear, good quality water, some of which originally came from the river Spree.
The lake takes its name from a village that had to make way for open-cast mining. It was created by flooding the former Gräbendorf lignite mine, a process which was completed in 2007. Near the southern shore, the site of the former village is marked by works from installation artist Ben Wagin.
The island near the eastern shore forms part of a 170 hectare section of the ‘Lusatian post-mining landscape’ European bird sanctuary, and is home to rare seagulls. The south-western shore near Altdöbern/Reddern offers camping, as well as pedalo, windsurfing board and bicycle hire.
Floating houses, the first one of which was built near Laasow in 2008, have become one of the signature features of the Lusatian Lakeland. There are quite a few of them now, not just on Lake Gräbendorf. For divers, there is also an underwater forest.
Cyclists and in-line skaters enjoy the 9km asphalt loop around the lake.
Facts and figures
- Size of the lake: 457 ha
- Max. depth: 55 metres
Fishing, swimming, canoeing, sailing, windsurfing, diving
Water tourism activities are permitted between 1 April and 31 October.
Water sports providers
- The Gräbendorfer See campsite in Reedern hires out windsurfing boards, SUP boards and pedalos
- ‘Piratenbucht am See’ in Casel offers guided raft tours on Lake Gräbendorf
- Flossenfreunde Laasow diving club, Lake Gräbendorf
- Parking at the lake in Casel, Reddern, Laasow and Wüstenhain
- Public toilet facilities at the campsite in Reddern
Leisure facilities and activities
- Several small playgrounds around Lake Gräbendorf, a larger playground at the Gräbendorfer Garten environmental encounter centre in Casel
- Several barbecue and campfire areas around Lake Gräbendorf
- 9km asphalt loop around the lake, suitable for cycling, in-line skating and running
- Gräbendorfer Garten environmental encounter centre in Casel with views of the lake’s island bird sanctuary
- Works by installation artist Ben Wagin near the southern shore
- Cycle hire at Gräbendorfer See campsite in Reddern
Food and drink around Lake Gräbendorf
- Snack bar at the Gräbendorfer Garten environmental encounter centre in Casel
- Landgasthof Schönknecht in Casel
- Restaurant at Gräbendorfer See campsite in Reddern
- Café am See in Laasow
- Imbiss zum See snack bar in Laasow
Diese Karte kann nicht von Google Maps geladen werden, da Sie in den Datenschutz- und Cookie-Einstellungen externen Inhalten nicht zugestimmt haben.