Old Mining Tour in the Niederlausitz Region
Length: 25 kilometres | 2 hours
The UNESCO Global Geopark Muskauer Faltenbogen in the eastern part of the Niederlausitz region can impress with a very diverse cultural and natural landscape. The area’s unique character is formed by its 400 lakes. Some of these were formed through mining activities that were first taken up in the area 170 years ago. The particular geological conditions allowed for lignite, clay and glass sands to be extracted through surface mining. High-quality products that were sold around the world, were produced in glass and ironworks, ceramics factories and pottery workshops.
On the Old Mining Tour near the glass-making town Döbern, cyclists will not only encounter impressive evidence of coal mining and processing in the past. The mining cavities have long since evolved into idyllic habitats amidst a typical heath and forest landscape. The tour goes through nature and landscape conservation areas with several information panels, on which geological peculiarities are explained. Literature lovers will be particularly interested in the famous shop in Bohsdorf that is prominently featured in the trilogy of novels by Erwin Strittmatter.
Start/finish: Strittmatter house “Der Laden” in Bohsdorf (intersection 28) (coordinates 51.6247697N, 14.5413225E)
Via: Döbern, Felixsee observation tower, Bohsdorf, Klein Kölzig, Jocksdorf, Groß Kölzig, Klein Kölzig
Cyclists going on the full-day tour “Old Mining Tour in the Niederlausitz Region” can use the new signposting system based on intersection numbers. You will go past the following intersections, if you choose Bohsdorf (intersection 28) as your start/finish point: 28, 29, 43, 37, 42, 33, 32, 36, 35, 34, 25, 29, 28, 18, 15, 16, 18, 28
Points of interest along the route:
- Erwin Strittmatter memorial site “Der Laden”
- Monkey zoo in Jocksdorf
- Luisensee nature reserve
- Fasanerie nature reserve
- Felixsee observation tower
- Visitor centre of the UNESCO Geopark Muskauer Faltenbogen, brickyard train and local history parlour in Klein Kölzig
- St Mary’s Church and Malxeniederung lowland in Groß Kölzig
- Cristalica glassworks and demonstration workshop in Döbern
- Eichwege bathing lake
- Car/parking: Strittmatter house “Der Laden” in Bohsdorf (Dorfstrasse 37, 03130 Felixsee, town district Bohsdorf)
- Train line RE 2 to Cottbus central station
- Bus line 15 to the bus station
- Bus line 851 to Döbern, Deutsches Haus,
- Bus line 851 to Klein Kölzig, Abzweig
- Flyer: Altbergbautour, published by: Niederlausitzer Heidemuseum Spremberg
- Geotouristische Übersichtskarte, www.pfeol-verlag.de, Förderverein Geopark Muskauer Faltenbogen e.V.
- Information for guests with mobility impairments
Tour startAn der Ziegelei 1
Tour endAn der Ziegelei 1
Contact addressAn der Ziegelei 1
Diese Karte kann nicht von Google Maps geladen werden, da Sie in den Datenschutz- und Cookie-Einstellungen externen Inhalten nicht zugestimmt haben.