Holidays for everyone
Europe’s largest artificial lakeland region is currently being created between Dresden and Berlin. Several disused open-cast mines are being flooded to create more than 20 lakes. In a few years’ time, ten of them will be linked by navigable channels. These impressive, evolving landscapes are already popular destinations for themed tours and are visited by a number of cycle routes. Now holidaymakers can not only relax by the lakes but they can also go sailing, windsurfing, canoeing and diving or even take to the water on a jet ski or motor boat.
Active holidays for all are guaranteed in this newly established holiday region. The flat asphalt cycle paths are ideal for getting around the lakes on an electric bike, handbike or wheelchair tandem. On tandem tours, blind or partially sighted cyclists can do some serious pedalling together with their co-riders. Disabled visitors who want to get out on the water are also catered for at LakeSenftenberg. Guided tours take holidaymakers to rugged lunar-like landscapes that have not yet yielded completely to flooding. People can discover this surreal region in the midst of its dramatic change on a walk or off-road tour through former or even working open-cast mines, and then enjoy a picnic afterwards.
Many industrial heritage attractions, museums, places of interest and accommodation providers in the LusatianLakes region cater for the needs of disabled visitors. A four-star lakeside hotel, family-friendly holiday homes, rustic inns, superior campsites and exclusive restaurants – there is something to suit every taste and budget.
Barrier-free tourism in the Lusatian Lakes:
- accommodation: hotels, guesthouses, holiday apartments, campsites
- restaurants and cafés
- exclusive tours around or in open-cast mines (both disused and active) on quad bikes or in all-terrain vehicles
- tandem tours
- barrier-free lake tours
- hire of handbikes, wheelchair tandems, e-bikes
- sightseeing trips on narrow-gauge railways or on coaches
- alpaca trekking tours and alpaca-assisted therapies
- water sports on LakeSenftenberg
- numerous opportunities for days out, e.g. discovering Lusatia’s industrial heritage or visiting parks, zoos and museums that offer special guided tours and hands-on activities.